Saturday, August 6, 2011

What do you see in the sky?


I have been talking to Charlotte alot about the sky lately.  We have been looking at flash cards and pictures of the sky, as well as simply going outside and talking about what we see!  We tried a few art projects involving the sky, and they were a huge hit with her!

The first one was a raincloud. I got the idea from alittledelightful.blogspot.com.  Here are the materials we used:
  • 1 piece of computer paper
  • pen (to draw the cloud form)
  • white rice
  • hand sanitizer
  • blue food coloring
  • 1 sandwich bag
  • tacky glue
  • cotton balls
I drew a cloud and then spread glue all around the cloud shape.  Then I let Charlotte put cotton balls onto the glue.  This got a little messy :).   I put about 3 drops of  blue food coloring and 1 drop of hand hanitizer into the sandwich bag to dye the rice blue.  I spread glue all around the page and let Charlotte drop the rice on the page.  After the glue dried, I found that I still needed to put additional glue to get some of the rice to stick.


cloud form



dyed rice


placing cotton balls onto the glue!




adding the rain!


The finished product!



 We also created a rainbow using construction paper, glue, and cotton balls!  Charlotte tore up some construction paper and then I helped her glue them onto the pre-printed rainbow.  Then Charlotte added the cotton balls to complete the project!

I think we'll cut the cotton balls next time to make them a little smaller :).

I also love the idea of using colored pasta!  We will try a project involving colored pasta soon.


from dawnypoo.blogspot.com


We also created a painting of the moon!  I used a cereal bowl as a pattern to draw a circle onto construction paper.  Then, I cut out the circle and placed it on a really cool piece of glittery black scrapbook paper that I found at goodwill.  I held the orange paper down and let Charlotte paint using white acryllic paint.  Then I helped her create craters using the the cap of the pant bottle!  you could also use a water bottle. 






Finally, we had tons of fun making a sky of stars in Charlotte's room.  All we used was a black cardboard presentation board, christmas lights, an extension cord, and scissors to poke holes into the board.  This was so fun and easy to make!






No comments:

Post a Comment